Technology has brought significant changes in the healthcare, beauty, and wellness industries. People now access some of the top diagnostic tools and the latest cutting-edge treatments. Remote and online consultations with specialists, the emergence of intuitive mobile apps, and targeted therapies have made rapid strides in improving patient care leading to a superior healthcare experience. Technologies like AI, 3D printing, DNA analysis, and augmented reality have made the beauty and wellness industry more and more technology-driven. Personalization is a critical area of improvement for beauty brands which requires tapping into customer desire for developing products that can be tailored-made to suit individual needs. Let’s discuss the role of technology in improving the dynamics of health, wellness, and the beauty industry.
The healthcare, wellness, and beauty industries are achieving new milestones on a daily basis toward transforming into a digitally mature sector. While the beauty segment has just launched its digital journey, the healthcare & wellness sectors have traveled a relatively long distance. The rise of numerous technology-driven start-ups has further propelled the digital transformation agenda. The digital strategy of these sectors consists of three key pillars,
- Customer engagement:
It includes considerable utilization of digital platforms like apps & social media to engage with customers consistently. It helps companies interact with their clients in real-time and create an experience per their feedback and expectations. Social media has developed as a major platform for healthcare, wellness, and beauty care companies to develop and strengthen their brand value.
- Operational optimization: It includes the adoption of cutting-edge technologies to boost operational efficiency that will save both time and money. Supply chain digitization, virtual monitoring, and online data storage & tracking are some of the critical focus areas these days.
- Product and service transformation: It includes the introduction of new innovative products & services led by disruptive technologies. It enables healthcare, wellness, and beauty care to create an advantage through differentiation, thereby boosting brand value in the market.
Use Cases of various technologies in Healthcare, Wellness, and Beauty care
- Social media presence
- Dr. Batra’s Homeopathy has an official YouTube channel, Instagram, and blog page with crystal clear content aimed at creating more awareness about the advantages of homeopathy through patient testimonials.
- O2 Spa sheds light on problems related to massages, makeup, hair care, etc., through blog posts and uploads with exclusive images taken from its existing & new spa outlets across the country.
- Gold’s Gym has gathered millions of followers on its Facebook page. It regularly showcases the latest offers, contests, fitness tips, and challenges to engage with followers.
- Digital tracking
- Anytime Fitness company utilizes artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms to identify customers who require follow-ups, visit reminders, membership renewal, etc.
- Kaya Clinic makes use of an online reputation management tool & digital Net Promoter Score (NPS) to keep track of customer satisfaction levels & its online presence.
- Use of AI and machine learning
- HealthifyMe utilizes an AI-enabled nutritionist Ria to provide seamless assistance to its clients on the app. In addition, it assists in tracking health-driven goals such as calorie intake & workout routines.
- Aggregator platform, Growfitter company, makes use of machine learning to power fitness recommendation systems for its clients.
- Exclusive websites
- Dabur has a dedicated online website called mybeautynaturally.com as a part of its customer engagement program. The website also includes considerable content about Dabur’s products, beauty tips, natural care, and “how-to” videos.
- Augmented reality (AR)
- L’Oréal Professional has partnered with Modiface, which is a Toronto-based beauty AR (Augmented reality) company. Together they have launched AR-based 3D real-time hair color try-on service on its “Style My Hair” app & in their salons. It also offers personalized real-time results to customers.
- Mobile apps
- VLCC wellness center uses mobile apps to engage and interact with customers via loyalty programs. In addition, it has acquired VanityCube to provide on-demand at-home services with the help of its app.
- Be U Salon has geofencing to build a virtual geographical boundary around an area. Then, with the help of a GPS, the app triggers a notification to clients to visit the salon whenever they are in that area.
- Kaya Clinic has developed strategies to make its app smarter by introducing AI-based chatbots that enable customer interaction after clinic hours (8:30 p.m.-10:00 a.m.). It is evidently receiving 35% of customer requests in these hours.
- Warehouse management
- Amway utilizes warehouse management tools & software in its 28 warehouses across India to streamline operations and improve order fulfillment effectiveness.
Technology trends in Health & Wellness
- Use of AI-enabled nutritionists by wellness centers for continuous assistance to its members with the help of a mobile app
- Wearable technologies make use of AI and data with biosensors. Smartwatch and Fitbit are perfect examples of wearable technologies designed to track sleep, movement, and calorie burn.
- Extensive use of Robotics in healthcare areas such as elderly care, cognition, masses, and contactless treatments.
- Corporate Wellness like Gym and Yoga center on office premises, regular health check-ups, health clubs, and availability of healthy food and beverages
Technology trends in Beauty Care
- Integration of AI, AR, CVT, Big Data, 3D printing, and various other technologies in maximum processes.
- Phygitalisation of retail that includes virtualization in beauty assistance.
- Multiple Research & Development projects emphasize personalized products and services development.
- Modification of logistics and production processes, allowing smaller quantities & more frequent product launches and updates.
As with most businesses, the goal is to develop products and services that improve lives or consumers’ desires. The same holds good in the healthcare, wellness, and beauty care industries. The same holds good in the healthcare, wellness, and beauty care industries. The advancements in technology have accelerated the growth in healthcare, wellness, and beauty care sectors helping companies to streamline and automate many processes assisting the patients and customers in getting the best experience and faster recovery from various health issues and reaching their fitness goals. As a result, the future of healthcare, wellness, and beauty care looks brighter as technology advances further.
A: The latest technologies defining beauty care are,
ModiFace Skin AI
L’Oreal Company’s Kérastase Hairs-Coach
Shiseido’s IoT-driven Skincare System “Optune”
Samsung S Skin
Estée Lauder’s Nighttime Expert App
The latest digital tools developed for improving mental health and overall wellness are,
A: The key challenges faced in the beauty and wellness industries are,
Lack of skilled professionals
Lack of regulations
Less awareness about niche segments
Counterfeit & sub-standard products
A: The key challenges faced in healthcare are,
Data Privacy and Regulations
Simpler user experience
High performing & high-quality solutions
A: The 5 ways technology is transforming modern medicine are,
Electronic health records
Artificial Intelligence technology & augmented reality
A: The benefits of technology in healthcare are,
Reduction in human errors
Facilitating care coordination
Improving clinical outcomes
Tracking data over time
Improved clinical practice efficiencies
A: The 5 technological devices commonly used in healthcare are,
Automated IV Pumps
Centralized Command Centers